Friday, March 5, 2010

Update

Wow, we knew this was going to be a roller coaster ride and that we would have good days and bad days, but knowing it and living it were two different things until today!

Karsyn didn’t have a very good night.  All her levels were dropping and rising and fluctuating quite a bit and they were concerned this was due to a hole in her PDA (a valve connected to the heart that doesn’t always close properly in preemies).   They do an echo cardiogram (basically an ultrasound) on their heart to see if the whole is big, little, closing, and etc.  Her’s was very big and showed no signs of closing on it’s own, and since it seemed to be agitating her they decided to go ahead and do surgery to close it.  They went in a placed a clamp on the PDA, and the dr. said her blood pressure began to immediately stabilize and it appeared to have gone very well.   Jeff and I are struggling to learn what all these different valves and issues are and what these medical terms mean…please bear with me if I don’t always make things completely clear…..sometimes I just don’t know enough to be able to aptly communicate it on the blog! 

Today has been very stressful and emotional for Jeff and I.  I can’t explain how hard it is, even though we know it’s common, to watch your child struggle and to feel so helpless.  To not even be able to hold them and make sure they know you love them.  To have to walk out of the room knowing they’re putting your 2 day old daughter under anesthesia, to go in a close a valve on her heart – definitely the hardest thing I’ve ever had to do.  Needless to say we’ve gone through a couple of packs of  Kleenex (thank you lindsay!),  gotten a few strange looks in the halls, and have very swollen eyes and splotchy faces!  BUT we’re still here!  We know God is in complete control and we can definitely feel his arms wrapped around us and his hands holding our precious babies. 

Dr. Bloss is the surgeon that worked on Karsyn, and as he was explaining things to us he looked at me and said “pray for me, and I’ll take care of her as if she were my own”.  This was such a source of encouragement for me, to know that Karsyn was in the hands of a God fearing man was such a relief.  As he came out to tell us that everything went well, he said you know we don’t deal the cards we just play them and know God is in control.  It’s so amazing to us how people are coming out of the woodwork to support us and pray for us.  People we don’t even know.  We are so very thankful and are so in awe of our amazing and powerful God.

Please continue to keep Karsyn and Kaden in your prayers.  Specific things at the moment:

Karsyn:  The PDA is closed, but they’re not sure where the blood went.  Could be in the lungs which would be good news, but it could have gone to her brain which will have complicated things a little. 

Kaden:  His echo cardiogram showed a very small hole that they believe will close on it’s own with a little help from medicine.  So pray that he doesn’t have to have the surgery as well.  We should know in the next few days

Thanks again….we love and appreciate you all more than you will ever know.    

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my! I can't imagine what y'all are going through. It sounds like your little miracles are in great hands. We will continue to pray!

Unknown said...

Oh, Kim- Love how God is working and how he is comforting you- even through your doctor. We're praying for you, your hubby, and those sweet babies.

Nicole said...

Certainly praying Kim! I know you'll enjoy all of your goodies from your little sprinkle today! Bless you guys!

Hayley said...

Just know that so many are praying for you, Jeff, Brady, Karsyn, and Kaden. And, WOW...what an amazing doctor! I'm just a phone call away if you need anything. Enjoyed talking to you this afternoon and I'm hoping to make a trip over to your house soon to drop a little something off for K&K. Will continue praying for all of you!
XOXO

Jenni said...

Little Karsyn's doctor sounds wonderful! It brought tears to my eyes! Jillian and I said a prayer for you guys tonight before bed.

JB said...

What an amazing doctor! Wow - God's fingerprints are all over this journey already!

It was SO great to hear your voice yesterday! You are being covered daily (or hourly!) in prayer in Tennessee!

We love you baby Karsyn and Kaden!!!!

The Brewer's said...

I love you friend! We are praying here in Austin! I love to see how God is working!

Jlucas24 said...

We are lifting up those sweet babies over here right now! It's our morning 9am your 2am. What an amazing Dr. you have. Praise God for placing him in your life.

Lisa said...

Kim, you and your precious babies have been added to my prayer list as well as my friends too. Skippy told us that you had delivered on thursday. Hang in there and rely on help from friends and family and your faith! Looks like these little babies are fighters for sure!
(And I love JJ Hellers "in your hands song" too!)

Britni said...

I have so much to say to you and I feel like I was just there yesterday! When you said Dr. Bloss, I just lit up! He did the Central Line surgery on my 2 pounder, Clare, and he was just amazing. Your babies are in the best hands. TWH is the best place EVER! The NICU nurses and docs are absoluely comforting and that place was our second home for 2 months...and still feels like home when ever I go back. Yes, you will have extreme ups and downs, but just remember on those down days that the next day will be better. Each and everyone of the staff treats those babies like their own and before long, I"m sure you will be a POD mom from visiting those angels all the time. You will soon feel okay to leave them for a couple of hours or over night as the trust will grow and understanding will come that they are exactly where they need to be. Don't think about the future and only focus on today. I promise this will soon become a reality and God will help you deal with each and every step in a natural everyday kind of way! Keep the kleenex close and just remember to pray for strength. You must continue to stay healthy so you can be there for those babies so sleep when you feel the need. I don't need to mention to stay positive because God only deals these challenges to positive people and I can tell you are going to be the mother and wife it takes to get through this! Always thinking and praying for you and your sweet family! If you have any questions I would love to help, or if you want to read our story, I can send. My email is blk@britnikey.com and don't feel obligated to respond, but only opening my arms to you.

Mark and Mandi said...

Praying hard for all of you guys!!! What sweet little miracles you have been given.

-Mandi

Mr. and Mrs. Jackson said...

I know exactly what all of those things mean... :) You will feel very smart at the end of this journey! :)

Here is a blog you may want to read for some more encouragement...
www.johannahopal.blogspot.com

She is a friend of ours from the NICU who also had PDA surgery and has progressed in an awesome way! I pray that your little ones will be the same way! :)

Maggie said...

Hi Kim, I used to work with Julie and my little boy is exactly Brady's age! Anyway, I have been reading your blog for a while now, and I just wanted to tell you that I am praying for you. My daughter, Camille, was born in June of last year and was in the NICU for 28 days. I know that having your baby in the NICU is the hardest thing in the world, and it always hurts my heart to hear of another family going through that. But like you said, God will not leave you! I firmly believe there is no other place on earth that God's presence is felt stronger than in the NICU. Praying for peace and comfort for you during this time.