Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Day 7

Well, today was good and bad…well not bad, just not quite as good!  Karsyn had a little set back last night.  They had to increase her oxygen a lot.  They did an xray and it appeared as if her left lung was deflating a bit.  They’ve started her on breathing treatments and have obviously kept her oxygen setting up much higher than it had been.  However, she seems to be responding.  They have her tilted to her left side a little to hopefully help her little lung.  Other than that she looks good.  Her oxygen saturation at the higher level is good so hopefully they’ll  be able to wean her down soon.  Evidently this is fairly normal, or as normal as things get with 24 week preemies.  I don’t think you can expect babies born this early to not have a little trouble breathing from time to time.  Hopefully the treatments will continue to work and we’ll see improvement tomorrow. 

Kaden is doing pretty well.  They actually started feeding him at about 2:00 pm today while I was there.  They are giving him 2 cc’s every 3 hours and will see how he tolerates it.  He seemed to be having some brady’s today which basically means his heart rate was dropping for a second and then coming back up.  The nurse practitioner said that sometimes their ventilator and or feeding tubes are in a funky position and can cause their heart rate to drop a little so they might do an x-ray later tonight to make sure the tubes are in the right place. 

In other news I got to touch both kiddo’s today and I was able to change Kaden’s diaper and check his temperature.  It was so nice to be able to touch them and let them know I was there.  I never knew I could sit that still for that long with my hand on a little one’s head.  Nor did I know changing a diaper could be so exciting!!  And of course there were quite a few tears shed!  It was definitely an amazing day for me.  

So keep the little nuggets in your prayers.  Hopefully Karsyn’s lungs will pick back up and Kaden’s heart rate will stay steady and he’ll be able tolerate his feeds.  

My friend Sydney left a verse in yesterday’s comments that I love and think is oh so very appropriate!  Thanks Syd!

Philippians 1:6 "being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus"

and what would a post be without a few pics!!

Sweet Kaden after his first feed!!March 9 007

Sweet Karsyn minus her hat!!  She’s holding her temperature well, so they took it off…yes that’s hair you see!!!  Can’t wait to get those bows out!!March 9 003

I was by myself so the photography isn’t the greatest, but I wanted to try to get a picture with my hand in there to put into  perspective how tiny they are.  Little Karsyn holding mommy’s finger….no my fingers aren’t that big…hers are that little!!!  And yes I’m ghostly white!March 9 006

8 comments:

Jenni said...

I'm so happy to hear that you got to touch your little ones! I'm sure that does a lot to help you emotionally. Know that you are all in our prayers!

Sydney said...

Oh Kim- I am crying reading your post and remembering the first time I got to change Milly's diaper after not even getting to touch her for a few days, it is joyous! Thanks for updating us so much, you have got to be exhausted!

Still praying faithfully for you and your family of FIVE!

JB said...

Yay for an update and progress! Love the pics :)

Aimee said...

HUGS! I am saying prayers for you all.

Gene, Stacy and Trenton said...

My heart just melted for that picture of you holding the babies finger! I love you guys and miss you.

Tenton wants to pway with Bwady! He cried about it all the way to school! :)

Callie and John said...

We are thinking of you all every day. The picture of you holding the baby's hand brought tears to my eyes. Please let us know if you all need anything!

Two Sisters said...

WHat a treasure that picture of Karsyn holding onto your hand is! Oh, and I have major insomnia right now, so you get prayers all night long from Rockwall:). Love you!!!

Unknown said...

I've been thinking about your family everyday and keeping up with reading your blog. I'm so excited that you got to touch them today and change a diaper. I look forward to reading more updates and I will continue to pray for You, the babies, Brady and daddy.