Wednesday, April 14, 2010

First eye exam

Good news from the Brewer babies today!  Where do I start?!?!  First of all Karsyn did not have her surgery this week.  This is not to say that she won’t need it at some point, but right now her head has been softening and the neurosurgeon doesn’t want to put in a reservoir that might not be necessary.  SO he’s going to do another head ultrasound tomorrow just to make sure the ventricles haven’t increased in size and we’ll go from there.  Yesterday they moved Karsyn from 2 hour feeds to 1 hour feeds and she did great.  This just means that she’s getting fed every 3 hours, but the milk is given to her over the course of an hour.  Both K’s had their first eye exam today to check for ROP.  I don’t know what this stands for yet, but I know that it’s a common eye condition in preemies.  So far neither of them seem to have issues.  They will continue to check their eyes weekly, but so far so good!  Mr. Kaden was moved from continuous feeds to 2 hour feeds yesterday and did wonderfully!  They hope to move him down to 1 hour feeds before the end of the week.  They did a repeat brain scan on Kaden today and see no evidence of the bleed.  GREAT news!  As the doctors were sharing all this information with me this morning I told them I was leaving….I’d had all good news and I wanted to get out of there before they found something bad! 

We are so grateful for days like today.  We have come so far in the last 6 weeks and we thank God for each and every bit of good news!  They are thriving at TCH and we’re really enjoying the amount of time we get to hold them and cuddle with them each day.  I don’t know if it makes them feel better, but it sure makes me feel better to get to hold them for hours at a time each day!

Look at these sweet little ruffles!  Who wouldn’t want to cuddle with that?!?!april 14 009

Little Sisterapril 14 011

Big Brother/Little Brother…..my middle child!april 14 001

I love the next two pictures!!  They have the same little pose…bottoms up!

april 14 015 april 14 016

Cute little video of Karsyn.  This was right after I got to hold her…she was very “talkative”!!  And of course I had to get a shot of her cute little frogs on her feet!

6 comments:

amy said...

YAY for good news. Continually praying for K &K and your family. What a sweeeeeet video. I almost forgot what those preemie sounds sound like!

Jenni said...

Good news! Brings tears to my eyes...such sweet little miracles

JB said...

Just prayed for the K's this morning. It was so wonderful to pray PRAISES!!!!

Unknown said...

What a precious little video, Kim thanks for sharing this journey with us. I am praying daily for these sweet babies and your family.

Rathi said...

So happy for good news! Praying for the K's everyday! Happy that you are getting to cuddle them so much!

Two Sisters said...

Kim,
It's so amazing that, even though they are teeny tiny and tubes cover their faces, I can totally tell that they are Brewer babies. They are both beautiful! Love the good news!