Monday, November 1, 2010

great season SHARKS

The sharks played their last game on Saturday!  It’s been a great season and I enjoyed watching Brady react and interact with the other kids.  As I sat there Saturday for his last game I was a little disturbed.  Let me start by saying that I consider myself a fairly competitive person.  And, as a former coach, I will definitely have high expectations for Brady as he gets older and more serious in the sport(s) he chooses.  BUT right now….he’s 3!  On a good day..with something he’s WAAY interested in…his attention span is about 20-30 minutes.  With that said, I do not expect his attention span to automatically increase during the hour he’s playing soccer.  Yes there is going to be some grass picking, some flying around with your arms out like an airplane, some running off the field for impromptu water breaks…..and in between all this a little watching the soccer ball as it rolls past you!  This is all okay with me……but evidently NOT okay with a lot of the shark parents!  There was a lot of yelling, lot’s of disgusted remarks, and lots of threats (yelled across the field mind you) of punishment if they didn’t start paying attention.  As I sat there biting a hole through my tongue I was reminded of what a precious gift this little boy is, and how much I want him to enjoy being a child.  I want him to run around like an airplane, I him to be carefree and enjoy this time when someone takes care of everything for him.  Because these precious carefree moments are fleeting and soon enough he’ll meet the real world!  I love watching his personality develop and I love teaching him how to be a responsible, God fearing person…but I also love watching him be him!  My desire…especially after this weekend….is to be a realistic parent.  To never pressure him to be or enjoy something he doesn’t.  To always remember that he is a precious gift from God no matter how good or bad he is at soccer….I had my turn…now it’s his!!  Again…as he get’s older I will have high expectations for him.  I will expect him to finish what he starts, to do his best and give everything 100%….but, not until he understands what 100% is!!

Not sure where this rant came from…but listening to others around me on Saturday made me want to hug my little man a little tighter…no matter what our different opinions might be… a reminder to love on our little ones is always worth it right?!

wish I could say this was a pregame stretch…but I think this was in the middle of the game!!! October 30 085

my little stud!

October 30 081

see there was some soccer playing too!!October 30 082  October 30 088

little water break with Grandpa!October 30 091

it was the last game which means trophy’s!!!

little guys waiting patiently for his turnOctober 30 095

Brady and his new pal Hunter with their trophies!October 30 107

GO SHARKSOctober 30 113

And because he played so hard (or because everyone gets one during the season!) Brady got a MVP medal on Saturday!!!October 30 117

he was so proud and is planning to take his medal and his trophy for show and tell tomorrow!October 30 120

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Love that sweet boy!!! And thanks so much for your post, I wish I could say it gets better in children's sports, but the older they get the crazier the parents are!! LOL Love you friend

~Shari said...

Awww.. I love to watch the little kids soccer. (My Hannah didnt make the registration this year.. :()

What great photos!!